+-

Author Topic: I have reached a crossroads I don't want to be at.  (Read 4274 times)

Ralph

I have reached a crossroads I don't want to be at.
« on: May 24, 2014, 01:43:59 PM »
Some here know that I am still using software that is old. Really old.
I really like it.
It does exactly what I want to do.
I can use it in my sleep or talk someone else through it over the phone.
Working with my artist, there are things I can do so much faster than she can when she uses Corel 12.
The difference is, she has to go through so many menus to get the tools she wants and I make three of four clicks and it's done. 

Well the issue has come up. My machine is starting to fail.
I can find someone to fix it or buy a new machine.
The problem, I have is personal.
My special software will not run on OS above XP.

Try finding a reasonably priced XP machine.
Custom built now and finding XP software. eeek

So one option is to just jump to Windows 8.1 and get more efficient with Corel
-----------------------
My question is, those who have move to Windows OS 8.1.
How do you like it?
Does it do what you want it to for you?
Will Corel 12 run correctly on 8.1?

I waited too long to get a newer machine and now I can't get what I want. 
Duel OS XP/7

killergraphics

• Administrator
  • Top Member
    • http://www.myTguys.com
Re: I have reached a crossroads I don't want to be at.
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2014, 02:26:58 PM »
Preston can help with that...computer guru.

I still work on a xp machine...would never find all my drivers for my old printers with 7 or 8
Life is a hel!-of-a thing to happen to a person.
Just remember do the best you can and there is no such thing as a loyal customer.

www.myTguys.com
www.killergraphics.net
www.USArmyonly.com

If you see a turtle on a fence post...you can bet he had help getting up there. :)

Ralph

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2014, 06:05:02 PM »
The drivers for the various old printers is what I'm thinking will be a big problem.

I am taking my machine in on Tuesday to have it checked out. Hopefully it's just a backup batter or failing hard drive.

The only good thing is, I keep all my data on External hard drives and thumb drives. Each account has it's own thumb drive. My business books have their own thumb drive per year.

I use the External hard drives to back up everything else. I do that Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays.

I have a thumb drive just for junk like searched, interesting items I want to come back to, photo collections.

My computer has a small 250G hard drive and I use all of about 20%. That 20% is programs. But I keep the programs I use most on ...you guessed it....thumb drives.

in fact the programs I use to make web pages and do image building are copied on to each thumb drive so I can take just the drive to a customer's machine. Plug it in and I have all I need to work on their stuff.

I don't need a fast machine or lots of storage. Just need an OS to run my little programs.

I have been playing with Corel Photo-Paint and I have found the things that I can do in my old program. Just need to make a cheat sheet to find all the menus and then see if I can find shortcuts.

While doing this I learned something interesting. Last time I tried to use Corel Photo-Paint must have been a long time. My artist uses it and I noticed that the Corel I use to try to use was Version 5 and I see that my machine has version 12 in it now. From 5 to 12 looks like a big step in my favor. I can actually find some tools I'm use to.

I do have an old barely use XP machine. I need to dust off and see if it still runs. It was used only for graphics and to print out films on the Epson 3000. It was a stand alone. Never hooked up to another computer or internet. Should still be clean.

Preston

• Administrator
    • Shop Cal Software
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2014, 12:52:35 PM »
Ralph,

You can absolutely do duel OS's.

Put two drives in your machine. Then load the first one with Win 7 and install Win XP on the other. Then when you start up your machine you will be given the choice of which OS to boot.

I know this works with Win 7 and Win 8 on the same machine so I do not see why it would not work with Win 7 and Win XP.

Going from XP to 8 will blow your mind and you will throw your computer out the window (no pun intended). Win 7 on the other hand is close to the way XP looks and feels so it is not a major learning curve to master.

Ralph

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2014, 11:21:36 PM »
Thanks,

I do have a Windows 7 laptop that I configured to work how I want to work. My mistake at the time I bought was not getting it loaded for dual OS. Now they say I need to buy XP, if I can find a complete OS to reload the laptop.

I've been told the same for a desktop. If I get the XP OS they will load it up as a dual OS.

I looking in to 8 and 8.1 but I read things that remind me so much of Millennium OS.

I did spend a lot of the weekend learning if Corel Photo Paint 12 will do what I want to do. I started making a cheat sheet comparing what I do in my old program and how to do it in Corel. I think with a little more time making the cheat sheet, I might be able to let go of my very favorite graphic program. I see Corel can do so much more but I don't know the menus and I find stuff by accident rather than knowing it's there.

A few years back I did this when I found out I couldn't run Lotus 123 v2.4 any more. I knew that inside out blindfolded as well. Excel is strong but I couldn't figure out the macro codes. All I could find was something call marco learn. I guess you were suppose to type in what your were doing and it learned. But I could get it to work. Then I found a web forum that template builders used. I downloaded a couple of templates. Opened the code edit and load to see how it processed actions. Too a month and I finally had templates that I could use for my businesses.  Now I have enough pieces of code actions to copy and paste what I want and do a little editing to it. So, I think I can break Corel down to some basics and make a working cheat sheet.

This will eliminate the needed to run XP for just a couple of programs. I can go all Windows 7.
Windows 8 or 8.1 not in my life time.

I have always been a few years behind in updating machined and software.  I run simple firewalls and no antivirus software. Because I setup my new machines using stuff downloaded from the net with a machine already connected, I do compromise the new machines. I have never as far as I know been hacked. I have never lost data except when I screw up. I figure hackers are after the new OS of last years OS and have move past 3 OS back. So far it's worked.

Friday I will be in the big city and I will make some stops at places that have machines and even build machines and see what I can find. I'm not a gamer. Last game I played was ZORK II. So I don't need anything special. I use Excel the most and Mozilla Firefox. Other than that, I could still run dos. That would be fact enough.

Recent Topics+-

oxid agentur by StaslHep
July 26, 2019, 12:51:43 PM

Steps of how to starts home base t-shirts design business in online . by brushyourideas
May 27, 2019, 02:08:41 AM

Top 10 Screen Printing Software 2018 by anbin
May 21, 2019, 08:13:10 AM

Hi Guys by mrseven171
January 23, 2019, 05:53:13 AM

Hello from Sevenlives Designs by Sevenlives
December 19, 2018, 04:37:04 PM

Johnny Killebrew Killergraphics has passed 12 December 2018 by InkMyT
December 18, 2018, 02:07:55 PM

20 Tips To Use Google Search Efficiently by mungo
November 05, 2018, 08:39:57 AM

Free Online Word Cloud Creators by mungo