+-

Author Topic: Ok Mac heads..  (Read 6850 times)

Preston

• Administrator
    • Shop Cal Software
Ok Mac heads..
« on: April 03, 2013, 11:06:59 AM »
Explain this cryptic she-ot to me.

I have plans to buy a Imac for the sole purpose of compiling a Mac version of my software. I do not want to spend a lot of money for something that is only going to be used for one thing. At the same time I do not want to buy something that is stuck with only being able to use an antiquated OS. Unlike PC's where you just need to know if the processor will handle a newer OS it seems the Mac's go by the date the processor was made. In other words 2 Imac's that have every thing the same on them except the processor on one was made in early 2007 and the other one in late 2007 cannot be upgraded to the same newer OS level.

I also figure I will need an airport card even though I will never take the thing to an airport. I assume this is the same as a wi-fi card.

Then another question is am I going to have to burn two different distribution CD's? 1 for PC's and one for Mac's or can Mac's use the same auto start menus that PC's do.

InkMyT

Re: Ok Mac heads..
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2013, 02:12:18 PM »
You just opened a can of Mac worms!

Yes, the date made is important as to what OS the hardwired equipment will support. It is different for each computer product. 2007 is outta date by many respects. You'll be able to upgrade a little, but not much I suspect. That said, I ain't got a Mac running the latest OS my newest is 10.7.5 This laptop will upgrade to 10.8..

Airport card is wifi...

Macs do not autorun the same way that a PC does. At least in the past. May be different today.

Preston

• Administrator
    • Shop Cal Software
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2013, 02:20:30 PM »
According to Applesauce the Imac mid 2007 or newer will run the latest and greatest version of the cat OS's.

I really do not want to buy anything newer if possible as I do not want to spend the cost of a used car for a computer that will never be used for anything but to compile a program on.

The problem is the Mac versions of my software will not run on anything lower than 10.6 . I did not set that limitation Apple did.

InkMyT

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2013, 02:58:32 PM »
I paid less than $500 for the laptop I am typing this on. Running 10.7.5 and upgradeable. OS is cheap, but I have not had a compelling reason to upgrade. 10.6 is a far cry from 10.8. That said, there will one day be newer versions of the OS. Apple will quit supporting the older versions.

Us older mac heads will just keep on running the software that our OS supports. In my case, I have a 1 TB mounted volume that contains old and new work. My newer Macs can hardly find files that I know exist on this raid. I have a G4 tower running 10.3 that I can tell to find a file and it just slowly goes to the task. If there is a file that contains my search criteria, it will be located. Slowly but dependably..

Use the same Mac to run an older version of Quark Express. Have limited need for this application. The older computer is dammmm slow, but the turtle gets to the end. I get to create the file that I need to output to a variable data printer.

Carve your initials on the tree if you wanna. Create a version of Mac compatible software that needs no updates or bug corrections and it will get used. You have to make sure that it is iron clad. It can be tied to an antiquated Mac OS. Us Mac Heads will keep a Mac rolling that will run it... provided we find that it is the next best thing since sliced bread. Just saying.

Or you can just say that Macs are not worth supporting.

I wish that we were closer distance wise. You would get use of a laptop..

Preston

• Administrator
    • Shop Cal Software
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2013, 03:40:49 PM »
You say 10.6 is a far cry from 10.8 but I just see it as 2 tenths different.

The issue is the development software will not produce programs that will run on anything lower than 10.6

That is this year, next year they may change it to only go back to 10.7

Because Apple owns the company that makes the development software, they control how far back in the Mac world application made with it will run.

InkMyT

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2013, 10:10:26 AM »
I hear ya and appreciate what you are saying. All computers are obsolete when bought. That said, just picked up a Macbook for $350 delivered that is running 10.8.3 It's a 4 year old computer. I'm fine with that. Had to replace the one my wife was using. I'll part the old one out and recoup some of my costs on the replacement.

Preston

• Administrator
    • Shop Cal Software
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2013, 01:06:20 PM »
So where do you find these Macs so cheap?

InkMyT

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2013, 03:49:06 PM »
fleebay... but I know what I'm looking for and at.

Preston

• Administrator
    • Shop Cal Software
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2013, 01:49:34 PM »
Well I got the 20" IMac.

Seems nice enough.

I need to get used to somethings being backwards from a PC.

The biggest thing to get used to so far is the scroll wheel on the mouse works backwards from a PC. On my PC's you roll the scroll wheel down and you scroll down the page. On the IMac, you roll the scroll wheel up to scroll down the page. I looked around and could not find anywhere to change that. It was not in the mouse settings.

On a PC, minimize, maximize and close is on the right side of the screen. On the IMac it is all on the left side of the screen although some full screen function thing is on the right side of the screen. No biggie, just something to get used to.

Anyway, I will play with it this weekend and I have to go to the shop now and get setup for some printing we need to do tonight.

Ralph

« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2013, 04:39:46 PM »
I thought you said you were retiring from printing.
or
was that you are really tired of printing!   ;D

Preston

• Administrator
    • Shop Cal Software
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2013, 06:23:10 PM »
I thought you said you were retiring from printing.
or
was that you are really tired of printing!   ;D

I am working on retiring from printing. I bought the IMac so I can make Mac-head versions of my software.

Recent Topics+-

бурение скважин цены by steklodeljgm
September 08, 2019, 01:12:36 PM

договор на бурение скважины by steklodelixl
September 08, 2019, 09:17:57 AM

цены скважин бурение область by steklodeljgm
September 02, 2019, 05:35:54 PM

паспорт скважины на воду образец by steklodelixl
September 02, 2019, 02:25:41 PM

oxid agentur by StaslHep
July 26, 2019, 12:51:43 PM

Steps of how to starts home base t-shirts design business in online . by brushyourideas
May 27, 2019, 02:08:41 AM

Top 10 Screen Printing Software 2018 by anbin
May 21, 2019, 08:13:10 AM

Hi Guys by mrseven171
January 23, 2019, 05:53:13 AM

Hello from Sevenlives Designs by Sevenlives
December 19, 2018, 04:37:04 PM

Johnny Killebrew Killergraphics has passed 12 December 2018 by InkMyT
December 18, 2018, 02:07:55 PM